The Mt. Lookout property where the Redmoor stands was purchased by Frank Boesch as a sheep farm in 1901 and has remained in the family since that time. Mr. Boesch later partnered with Hollywood showman Jerry Jackson, who had the vision to open an avant-garde theater modeled after those he’d seen in California.
In 1938, the state-of-the-art theater held its premiere, with the first tickets being sold by 10-year-old Frances Faber, the building’s current owner. Tickets remained in high demand, with a queue often extending down the length of Mt. Lookout Square, and continued to feature films within an exquisite Art Deco setting for many decades.
After the advent of video and audio tapes, a lesser demand for theater inspired a new idea for the venue: an upscale steakhouse. Later the concepts of theater and dining merged in the building’s next incarnation as Cinema Grille.
Recognizing the need for a distinctive setting for events that are far from ordinary, Cincinnati interior designer David Millet reinvented the building’s identity as The Redmoor — Cincinnati’s premier event house.